The Value of Belonging
Membership in the Tennessee Municipal League (TML) provides one of the best returns on investment by saving you and your city time and money. City officials make important contacts, learn about innovative programs, and obtain time sensitive information about legislative and regulatory developments.
- work with other cities to safeguard their city’s interests;
- obtain information to solve problems and face challenges;
- share great ideas with local officials from across the state; and
- sharpen leadership skills to become a more effective leader.
TML is a full-time advocate for legislative and regulatory issues affecting Tennessee’s municipalities. The League’s primary function is to work with the Tennessee General Assembly on behalf of city governments, promoting legislation helpful to cities and opposing legislation harmful to cities. Municipalities maximize their strength by working together through the Municipal League to monitor and influence state legislative issues affecting them.
SAFEGUARD YOUR CITY’S INTERESTS
TML keeps you informed about what’s happening in Nashville and represents you when you can’t be there. The League also gives you the tools you need to influence state and federal policies that impose mandates, restrict your authority, or reduce state or federal funding coming into your city.
- Legislative Issues – an online tool that makes it easy for you to stay abreast of legislation, contact your legislator, or print off talking points before meeting with your representative. This members-only section on TML’s website allows members to access a series of legislative folders packed with information on key issues.
- Legislative Bulletins – weekly legislative updates that focus on priority bills as they move through the legislative process, recaps the week’s legislative activity and previews the upcoming week.
- Daily Updates report on legislative activity in the Tennessee General Assembly that affect municipalities.
- Action Alerts distributed via email to inform you of recent developments and to request that you contact your legislator immediately.
OBTAIN THE INFORMATION YOU NEED
TML members receive a wealth of information about issues that matter.
- Tennessee Town and City — a bi-weekly newspaper reporting on local, state, and federal issues.
- TMLTV – TML produced videos posted on the website provide information on specific issues.
SHARE GREAT IDEAS
TML provides opportunities to connect with other municipal elected leaders from across the state who share common experiences. Through various TML meetings, the League provides a forum to investigate best practices and to learn about innovative municipal services and programs.
- TML Annual Conference provides countless opportunities to network and share information among city officials. Attendees can attend workshops, network with peers, and find resources to help solve city issues.
- TML Legislative Conference encourages and facilitates member participation in the legislative process and provides a forum to update the membership on developments of the current legislative session.
- District Meetings are scheduled to update and inform members on federal and state issues and to discuss issues of interest to the municipalities in their districts.
- Policy Committee Meetings provide a forum for members to provide input and help develop the League’s legislative agenda.
As part of the TML’s mission to create stronger communities, the League also provides local officials with professional development opportunities. Comprehensive and up-to-date information, conference workshops, and networking opportunities all help municipal officials recognize, understand, and meet the emerging trends and challenges their communities face.
SHARPEN YOUR LEADERSHIP SKILLS
- The TML Annual Conference provides an opportunity to hear from leading experts at the national and state level on topics of interest to elected municipal officials. This annual event also features more than 150 exhibitors highlighting new equipment, supplies, services and technologies that are beneficial to cities.
- The TML Legislative Conference focuses on legislative policy and advocacy issues. Presentations are specifically geared to high-priority issues affecting municipalities. This event is designed to give municipal officials an opportunity to visit the Tennessee General Assembly and meet with representatives and senators from their home districts.
- Networking – TML meetings and events provide a forum for city officials to share vital information and engage in discussions on a variety of topics that are important to local government officials.
TML Sponsored Programs
As a member of TML, your also become a part of other dynamic organizations that care about municipalities.
- Tennessee Municipal Bond Fund – creates and administers various types of loan programs for municipalities. As anentity of the Tennessee Municipal League, TMBF works closely with city officials to structure cost effective borrowing options.
- Public Entity Partners – The unique relationship between PE Partners and local governments sets it apart from traditional insuring methods. PE Partners is able to tailor coverages and services for local governments needs through risk management procedures, which control costs for these coverages and services.
- Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS) provides technical assistance and municipal training.
- National League of Cities represents local government interests before the United States Congress and keeps TML abreast of federal issues that affect municipalities.